Sunday, September 17, 2017

SQL Server 2016 - CREATE/ALTER PROCEDURE must be the first statement in a query batch

Everyone knows that SQL Server started supporting CREATE OR ALTER statement with SQL Server 2016 and it can be used with few objects. However, with my new installation of SQL Server 2016, I noticed this error which was not supposed to see with 2016.


What could be the reason? I could not immediately realize the issue and was thinking that what went wrong. It should be working as this is SQL Server 2016.

After few minutes, I realized the issue;


It is all about the version I used. This feature was introduced with SQL Server 2016 - Service Pack I and I had not installed SP1 for my new instance. You may experience the same, hence made this post to note it :).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just wanted to comment that this helped me out. Thank you for posting this.