Saturday, October 21, 2017

Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable Setup - You cannot install the 32-bit version, You cannot install the 64-bit version

In order to access Excel workbook using Integration Services, one component we need to install is Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable. If 32-bit version of Office is installed, then 32-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable should be installed. If 64-bit version of Office is installed, then 64-bit version of it has to be installed.

If it is not installed, this is what we see when try to access an Excel workbook

The requested OLE DB provider Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 is not registered. If the 32-bit drivers is no.....


Generally, once it is installed, we can connect to Excel and work with it without any issue. However, I started experiencing below error when I try to install 32-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable.

You cannot install the 32-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 because you currently have 64-bit Office products installed. If you want to.....


I was confused with this message because I have installed 32-bit version of Office. However, just for checking, I tried to install 64-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable and this is what I got when I tried........

You cannot install the 64-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 because you currently have 32-bit Office products installed. If you want to....

Not sure what is the reason but it stopped me continuing, leaving me only option as uninstalling Office and installing again. Since it is not the best way, just thought to try out older version of Microsoft Access Database Engine Redistributable, hence downloaded 32-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255. Good news is, I was able to install it and the best news is, SSIS could connect to Excel without any issue. This may not be the best solution for above error but for an urgent situation, you can try this and see.

1 comment:

coremanster said...

On a server, it is possible to install both 32-bit and 64-bit ACE engine. Just don't do this on a server (or computer) with any Office components installed. I did this on a SQL Server, but it was not a production server. I'd be leery of doing this on a real production server, especially if it had other important services on it.

These days, I'd install a library like EPPlus.dll on my server and use that to read/write Excel files on a server. Plus, there's far more control over the data going into the spreadsheet, as it does not invoke Excel's "helpful" defaults, not preserving leading 0's, etc.